Thursday, February 5, 2009

The second Inning



February 6th, 2009

A critic’s review is not the final verdict on a film, says Hurman S. Baweja. Victory has good chances of picking up by its word-by-mouth publicity.

What is your response to the criticism that Victory has received by film critics?
I am waiting and watching. I am sure that the film will catch up, because opposed to the critics the word-by- mouth publicity of Victory has been quite good. A trade analyst told me that even films like Jannat and Taare Zameen Par took time to catch up with the audience.

Is it reassuring, that your performance in Victory was appreciated?
I have read about 48 e-mails written by critics from all over the world. There have been remarks like ‘Hurman is above the film’, ‘A first- class actor in a second-class film’, ‘An actor like Hurman must rethink his scripts’ and ‘Hurman is a bankable actor’. Generally every person is panned if a film does not get favourable reviews, but, yes, it is reassuring that my performance has been appreciated.

Critics felt that there was less of human drama and more of cricket in the film. Would you agree with that?
No! There was barely 10 minutes of cricket before the interval and then there was some in the climax sequence in the second half. I feel there's a lot of drama in the film. In fact, people have been saying that being a sports-based film, there is not enough cricket.

After two films, where do you find yourself in the industry?
I am said to be a dependable actor in the brief time that I have been here. I hope to continue for a long time.

Are you nervous about your next release?
My next, Anees Bazmee’s It’s My Life is a romantic film which also focusses on Indian values and how parents' possessiveness can affect their children's lives. I am a positive person and have high expectations of the film.

Do you think the news of your break-up with Priyanka Chopra will affect What’s Your Rashee? Ashutosh Gowariker’s romantic comedy in which both of you star together?
Last when we heard of a couple breaking up, their film did well! That's on a lighter note. But my personal opinion is that the relationship between the leading pair of a film does not affect it in any way. A film runs purely on merit.

What is the status of your relationship with Priyanka Chopra?
We were good friends, and still are.