Friday, January 9, 2009

Shwetha Menon on Dancing Queen, Movies and her Kamasutra Ad



January 9th, 2009

Shwetha Menon is out of the reality show, Dancing Queen. We get into a chat with her. She tells us about her elimination from Dancing Queen, her future projects, her B grade films and the Kamasutra Ad which made her famous.

You got eliminated in Dancing Queen. What went in your mind that time?
What do you think can go on my mind that time? (laughs). Somewhere down the lane I had got a zest of it that something is going to go wrong. So I was mentally prepared for it. I did speak to Bhoomika also about it before the elimination. We both were just hoping that something good happens and we get a chance to stay in the show. I felt bad because I had some aspirations in life which unfortunately could not be fulfilled.


Do you think the judges have been impartial to you or anyone in anyway? What opinion do you have about the judges?
I don’t want to say that anyone was impartial or anything like that, but yes, there was a lot of expectation from us. I really don’t know the reason for this.

Talking about my opinion about the judges then I would say that performing in front of Hemaji was like a dream come. She is a renowned classical dancer and I love classical dance. So it felt beautiful being praised by her. As for Jituji, everyone knows he is a legend and everything from his walk to his talk is certainly legendary. He really knows how to pamper.


What will you miss the most in Dancing Queen?
I will certainly miss each and everything in Dancing Queen. It was my first reality show and I really never thought that I would be eliminated so soon. It really feels bad, but I guess that was destined to be.


Who do you think should be eliminated in your place?
See it is a competition so I would like if others get eliminated so that my chances of winning becomes strong (laughs). I will not pin point anyone. The truth is that I am out of the show and that needs to be digested well.


Do you think this show will now help you in getting more roles in films?
I didn’t do this show to get a role in any film or show. There were no such calculations involved. I was doing films in the south. I feel whatever happens, happens for good.


After getting eliminated you said that ‘luck plays a bigger role in dance performances’. What made you say that? Weren’t you confident of yourself?

I realized that everything does not depend on one thing. Everybody gave in their best and deserved to be winners. We all were great dancers. It is just a matter of luck. Luck I say really plays a big and vital role in each one’s life, be it dancing or singing or anything.


So are you open to more reality shows now?
Off course I am. I had loved being a part of Dancing Queen and will take more reality shows as they come my way. It is good to be yourself. It is a good medium to portray yourself.


Shifting from Dancing Queen to your pasts. You started your career with Anaswaram (1991), which was a Malayalam movie. After that you jumped to modeling. Why so? Didn’t you feel like pursuing your career in acting?
Not bad, you did a full research on me (laughs). I had done a couple of movies that time. After my school days I jumped into modeling and took it very seriously when I became Miss. India. I had already done four movies by that time. Actually I was too young, too thin and everyone said I was not meant for films.


Your modeling career was good enough as you were the 2nd Runner Up in Miss Asia Pacific 1994 and also became Gladrags Supermodel in 1994. How does it feel thinking about it?
It feels great you see. Even after 13 years entering into a competition through a reality show and competing is something no less than an achievement.


You became famous by your Kamasutra Ad, which depicted you in many different positions. Were you comfortable doing that?
See, it was like just 4 pictures in the entire ad. It was more towards the Kerala side that people reacted because I happen to be a Kerala Mallu girl. That time I was in Bombay and my parents were the one who tackled the situation and handled it. My parents were aware of what I was doing and they supported me fully. It was not for the condom ad that they supported me but it was because that they believed in me, and in whatever I was doing. That time the condom awareness was very low and if you see, nowadays anybody and everybody is endorsing such ads. I did it 10 years back in I guess 1998, so it is not very much old. So the mentality of people changes with time. I won’t say that it was like a taboo that time but lesser number of people supported me.


You have acted in many good reputed films like Bandhan (1998), Khatron Ke Khiladi (2001), Asoka (2001), Pran Jaye Par Shaan Na Jaye (2003), Maqbool (2004), Corporate (2006). Why never a lead role?
Hey, that’s good na (laughs). Something is better than nothing (laughs again). Basically I am not all that media savvy. I don’t have a PR, or a secretary. Whatever I have done is my hard work. I believe in being comfortable. I was really comfortable with whatever I was doing that time. I got many offers but I chose that role which made me comfortable, be that any role.


You as well acted in many B grade flicks like Market (2003), Bazaar (2004), Topless (2005), Bad Friend (2005). What made you do such films?
It is sad to hear that all these films was listed in A category. For instance take topless movie which was made by Nabh Kumar Raju, the man who introduced Govinda and Urmila. Topless film as the name suggests was not as the title suggests. It was a film on breast cancer. Sometimes you intend to make a good film but to advertise and promote it, it becomes entirely different from what it was scheduled to be. I was not happy with the makers of these films as my intentions were good, but they marketed me in a wrong way which I guess even spoiled my name in the Industry. I cannot take the responsibility of the entire film.


What is your opinion on skin show?
I guess I have shown the maximum skin I could have in all these movies. I cannot go beyond that. See, one cannot show her skin on a daily basis. There are certain parameters involved. A bikini is more than enough for me.


What kind of roles are you looking out for in movies?
I don’t know if you have any clue of what kind of Malayalam films I am doing. I am genuinely doing good films done there. I end up getting creative satisfaction in south films but I get the glamorous side of mine in Mumbai. So I am trying to balance both the aspects.


Your future projects?
I am doing one film with Jagmohan Mundra co staring Anuj Saxena. There is another film I am doing titled ‘Morning Walk’ with Anupam Kher. Then there are two more films but will let you know about them later.