Friday, February 13, 2009

Destiny & Desire



February 12th, 2009

Shilpa Shetty’s away in Nashik shooting for the Indo-Chinese venture The Desire this Valentine’s Day. She hopes boyfriend Raj Kundra will come visiting. Keeping her guessing, Kundra smiles back indulgently. So will he or won’t he? Read on to find out...

She’s togged in a form-flattering little black dress and he is dressed nattily in a black suit. She’s smiling a lot and he’s beaming proudly. She’s dazzlingly beautiful and his sparkling wit sets him apart. Happy to be together, Shilpa and Raj are evidently in love. The coosome twosome is in a celebratory mood as they “gift each other” 11.4 per cent ($15.4 million) stake in Rajasthan Royals, the reigning Indian Premier League (IPL) champions. It’s good to catch Shilpa-Raj in a tell-all mood. Over a protein bar, Shilpa shares her thoughts about her Mr Right and he joins the chat-fest:

Business and pleasure, is a heady cocktail! How did you two meet ?
Shilpa :
It began with a business meeting when we met for the launch of my signature perfume S2. Soon we became good friends. I really admire his business acumen and vision.

What’s that one quality that you looked for in your Mr Right? What do you like the most about Raj?
Shilpa :
Simplicity! And the fact that he’s so secure with himself and has no complex about being around a successful woman. He’s proud to be on my side, he celebrates my achievements with me. That’s what I like about him.
Raj: There is no ego between us, we respect each other and if one person is more famous it doesn’t make the other person smaller, does it?

What’s the best and worst about dating Shilpa Shetty?
Raj:
In terms of business, the best thing is that her networking is so good and the worst thing is that with her there is hardly any personal life! I am a great believer of The Secret, I know for sure that whatever you believe in really happens. We believe that we were destined to be together.

Now tell us of your plan for Valentine’s Day.
Shilpa:
What plan? We aren’t even meeting! I am away shooting for The Desire in Nashik. But if I know him, he will surprise me by visiting me. Won’t you?
Raj: (Smiles) Why ever not?

Any gifts that you have thought about?
Raj:
A stake in Rajasthan Royals is our Valentine’s gift to each other. And that’s pretty expensive, I assure you.
Shilpa: Rajasthan Royals is indeed an important strategic business investment for us, but I am expecting a special Valentine gift.
Raj: (chokes mockingly) Please get me some water...

Why Rajasthan Royals?
Shilpa:
During the last IPL season we were in Tirupati during the final match between Rajasthan Royals and Punjab Kings XI. There was no television in our hotel and Shamita was relaying the commentary to us over the ’phone. Raj and I had bet on Rajasthan Royals and I remember going hoarse screaming with delight when they won the match on the last ball. We won! I think we were destined for Royals.
Raj: Like me, Royals were the underdogs last year. There were no expectations from them but through their scintillating performance they made a mark. They emerged champions.

How important is winning for you? Are you ready to take on Shah Rukh Khan and Preity Zinta?
Shilpa:
I am a winner, it is very important to win. But in cricket the spirit is the most important. And hey, the competition is not between SRK, Preity or me - it’s between our teams. It’s more about camaraderie. I got into the IPL circuit only because it was Raj’s idea and trust his business sense implicitly. I wasn’t following any trend. But we will learn from their mistakes, that’s for sure.

Which mistakes, Shilpa?
Shilpa:
Buying players at exorbitant rates and overspending on marketing and merchandising. Although our aim is to Bollywood-ise the game with music video and better marketing strategy, the main focus remains on the game.

What difference will you two make to Rajasthan Royals?
Shilpa:
Hey, I am the only Indian co-owner on Royals, the rest of them are British. So I will bring in my native spirit and put my expertise and experience in films to marketing, merchandising and music video. Of course, you can expect a dhamakedaar video!
Raj: The marketing budget has been upped three times over this time so there will be hip merchandise - new tee-shirts, minibats and on-line club memberships. There will be value for fan loyalty.

Dancing yes, but what’s your connect with sports?
Shilpa:
I was a volleyball player at the Bombay Zonal level, I was a good sportsperson. I played some bad cricket under our building. But my dad is a crazy cricket fanatic and he can rattle off cricket statistics like radio. He’s updating me with my cricket know-how these days.

How’s your good friend Vijay Mallya taking you as an adversary?
Shilpa:
When he heard about my IPL entry, he went ‘Oh my gawd!’ And I replied - everything is fair in love and cricket!

Love, cricket and marriage. When’s the big day?
Shilpa:
Don’t worry, whenever we plan to get married we will call a press conference. Nothing is hidden from you. Right now I am busy shooting for The Desire and The Man co-starring Sunny Deol. Then the IPL matches! Where is the time?
Raj: Oh yes, it is a busy year ahead.