Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Interview : Karan Johar



January 21st, 2009

He is known for playing his cards, or shall we say, brewing his coffee well ...always-be it as a producer, director, host or cameo actor. And of course he has his own set of humour that adds a flavour to every thing he does. Karan Johar gets candid with our correspondent.

Is it true that you have become a 'dietician' to Kajol and Kareena?
Oh my God! I expected you to start with DOSTANA and you shot the other way...(laughs). It's all right. See, I have not become a 'dietician' to Kajol and Kareena in a true sense, but I have given them some suggestions to abide by if they are interested in working in my next films. I have asked Kajol to lose some flab for MY NAME IS KHAN. And I told Kareena not to lose weight for an unnamed Dharma Productions film to be directed by a friend Rensil D'Silva.

I understand Kajol's weight loss, but Kareena's size zero is quite 'in' now...
That's a myth and may be a momentary craze. But the truth is Indian audience always prefers a healthy (not fat) heroine...this size zero concept is not for Hindi film heroines, at least that's what I feel.

You will be directing again after quite some time. Tell us more about MY NAME IS KHAN?
MY NAME IS KHAN is a film based on the psyche of a Muslim man whose name comes up in the suspect list of terrorists post 9/11. Yes, as usual, this film has Shah Rukh as the hero and Kajol as the heroine. And I will be directing a film after quite some time. The trio will be back to sizzle the screen after KABHI KHUSHI KABHIE GHAM. So you may as well call it my comeback as a director.

We heard it took you long to persuade Kajol to sign the film. True?
Kajol is always like that...she knows she can never say 'No' to me...still she tries in vain. But the point is, I am very happy that she has finally agreed to do the film because only she can play her character in the film.

Why is Shah Rukh an indispensable part of almost every Dharma Productions film? Is it because he sells?
Shah Rukh is definitely one of the biggest stars in Bollywood and his screen presence does make a difference. But the reason why he is in almost all our films is something different. My father (Yash Johar) was very fond of Shah Rukh, in fact he considered him to be family, which of course, SRK is. And when I decided to make films, he said: 'Beta, if possible, try to involve Shah Rukh in all Dharma Productions projects.' Besides, Shah Rukh has been a friend, philosopher and guide...it's an old association and old habits die hard.

And, what about actors like Rani Mukherjee, Priety Zinta and Kajol who do cameo in all your films, if not playing the lead in them?
My weakness and strength are my friends and I can't do without them. But it's not possible to involve all of them in every film. So I try to make sure that they play at least a small, if not a full-fledged role in my films.

Of late you have become costume designer for Shah Rukh in most of his films including OM SHANTI OM. Is it your new avtaar?
Arre, nehi yaar. I won't like to style anyone except Shah Rukh and I am sure he won't hire me, especially in times of recession. Jokes apart, I enjoy shopping...be it for Farah's (Khan) triplets or Farah herself or Shah Rukh. Whenever I come across something classy, it's SRK who flashes in my mind and I start thinking for which film or scene this dress will suit him.

You have already put your fingers in many pies. How do you manage that?
I don't think I am no longer a trendsetter, especially with Farhan (Akhtar) around. (Laughs aloud) I always did what I wanted to do at a given point of time or what a particular time wanted me to do. But of course, the producer-director part is family business and passion. Besides, that I enjoy chatting with friends for hours and that led to the chat-show. All my friends are from the film fraternity, so hosting awards functions are like interacting and leg-pulling friends.

Just now you mentioned Farhan Akhtar. So any plans to play a rockstar on screen?
You will run for your life if I open my mouth to sing.