Wednesday, January 21, 2009

‘I’m the female Akshay Kumar’



January 21st, 2009

Deepika Padukone unveils the secret of her Chinese look in 'Chandni Chowk To China', but is most excited about working with the Midas-touched actor.

Were you apprehensive when producer Rohan Sippy told you that your role in Chandni Chowk To China (CCTC ) was action-oriented?

Frankly no, I said yes immediately after the narration. After all the king of action, Akshay Kumar, was my co-star. But I realised how tough it was to perform stunts and perform action scenes, only when I started training for my part with an action director from Hong Kong.


What was the training?

I trained for almost six months for eight hours a day. I even injured my ankle thrice while shooting for the film. It was tough but interesting as it was the first time I was doing action and that too with Akshay Kumar.


What is the final result like?

I think I have done a good job. I’d like to believe that I’m the next female Akshay Kumar.


Did Akshay give you any tips for action scenes?

Of course, the most noteworthy was that an actor should never be tense while doing action scenes. To look stunning and have an impact, one should loosen one’s muscles as action scenes require the grace of a skilled dancer. With every film one learns something and I have learnt a lot while working in CCTC.


The disparity between your Indian and Chinese looks in CCTC is remarkable?

That’s because both the looks have been conceived by different persons. Jaimal, a designer from New York, is working in an Indian film for the first time. He conceptualised my action and the Indian look in the film which is very glamorous.Malika Bhatt designed my Chinese look which has me looking very petite and oriental, with poker-straight hair.


There are a lot of expectations from you today. Do you feel the pressure?Not at all. I think that if you enjoy your work, everything else follows.