Saturday, January 17, 2009

'I'm a successful actor'



January 17th, 2009

One would have expected Sanjay Kapoor to be somewhat reserved, perhaps even standoffish. It's probably something to do with his roles – the shy guy in Sirf Tum or the obsessive husband of Esha Deol in Koi Mere Dil Se Poochhe.

About five minutes into a telephonic conversation though reveals a side of him you cannot help but smile at. His words reveal a certain naiveté.

"I'm a successful actor," he says with a conviction that doesn't make you want to contradict him.

Sanjay who will make a comeback of sorts as an actor with Luck By Chance, is currently busy with his home production, significantly called It's My Life.

Edited excerpts from a conversation:

It's been a while since we've seen you on screen…

It was a conscious decision. I am currently producing a film called It's My Life starring Harman Baweja, Nana Patekar and Ganelia. I plan to release it this summer.

So what made you take up Luck By Chance then?

My close friends believe that I have a good sense of humour. And Zoya was quite keen on casting me in the film. I guess things just fell in place. I am also working in a film being produced by Tips and another one called Kircket, which is a satire on the business of sports.

How do you look at your career considering most of your films didn't fare too well at the box office?

Success is relative. Not everyone can become a Shahrukh Khan. And you certainly cannot always gauge it by the box office collections. I know there may be 10 actors ahead of me. But I am also aware that there are possibly a million others behind me too. So it's how you look at the glass – half full or half empty!

So you consider yourself to be a successful actor?

Yes, I think I am a successful actor. There would be many who would want to be in my shoes right now. There is always room for improvement.